This year has been a busy year for With Open Eyes. If you visit our Facebook page, you’ll see some of the amazing stats that we’ve shared. We hope that you will praise the Lord with us for all that He has done in the last few years. Our hearts are overflowing with gratitude.
But today, I want to share one aspect of the ministry we don’t talk about all that often. Our humanitarian efforts. These efforts to help the underserved and unreached in our world came from the heart of our co-founder, James Harrison. He would constantly tell his dad, “We need to do something to help these people.” Humanitarian work and support was his heart.
It’s also the heart of With Open Eyes.
Here are some of the opportunities the Lord has provided for us this year. As you read these, we ask that you would continue to pray for the people we’re reaching in different parts of Africa. Pray for the men and women who humbly and passionately serve their communities. Intercede for our Mobile Messengers who travel to often dangerous parts of their countries to preach the good news of Jesus Christ.
- Jan Care Nursery School in Kiryandongo Refugee Settlement opened this year. It serves more than 200 children daily, including a child nutrition program to make sure these kids grow healthy and strong.
- We’ve partnered with Eden in Africa to provide agricultural training in Sudan, Uganda and Kenya
- We’ve also partnered with Persecution Project to provide temporary shelter to displaced people in Sudan
- With Open Eyes made the initial investment in the Golden Poultry Farm in Uganda, designed to help with income and sustainability
- In September, we sent a medical team and a ladies ministry team to Kiryandongo. We were able to see more than 300 refugees in need of medical care in 3 days
- Faced with an infestation of jiggers (small mites that live in the dry dust of the ground and burrow into the skin causing severe and painful infection) we were also able to make health and safety improvements to church and nursery school structures in Kiryandongo
- We participated in construction of a new Sunday school building and made other improvements in Kitui, Kenya
- Purchased additional acreage in Uganda for agriculture
Your prayers, donations, and volunteer hours have made so much of this possible. We’re so grateful that the Lord has provided men and women, families from all over the world to partner with us. We look back on 2016 in awe at all Jesus has accomplished and we eagerly anticipate all He will do in 2017.
As 2016 closes out, would you prayerfully consider how you might be able to partner with the work of With Open Eyes? Whether financially or through prayer, With Open Eyes appreciates the men and women who partner with us to continue the work of helping men, women, and children in desperate need physically and spiritually. Learn more at withopeneyes.net/donate.